Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Roma!!!

Well it sure isn't Atlanta! I flew into Rome at around 7am and found myself back in the Euro land of chaos. No structured lines in the airport, just a free-for-all to get through customs. Gosh I've missed Italy. ;) After getting out of the airport and dropping my stuff off at our hotel, My friend and team-mate Rob Cone and I headed out into the city to tourist it up for a day. What a beautiful city! Everywhere I looked there was another piece of history to catch my eye. Looking at some of the colossal structures it is almost inconcievable they were built 3000 years ago. We walked around downtown Rome for about 7 hrs before catching a train the 30 Kilometers or so back to our hotel. After a sleepless night on an airplane and all that walking I could barely keep my eyes open; I passed out almost instantly upon arrival to the room and slept like a baby for 12 hours. :)

The next day was spent driving up to the mountain where the races are to take place. It is supposedly a 2 hr trip under normal conditions, but extremely high winds forced us to relinquish our time table and sit on a mountain pass for 3 and a half hours waiting for the weather to abate. In the end we made it up to our hotel and got settled in without any further hindrances.

 Today we went up and freeskied the mountain for a few hours in the morning before coming back to the hotel to get ready for the first DH training day tomorrow. Beautiful weather and solid snow up there.. I think it's going to be a great trip!   

Here is a picture of the Colosseum. Its huge!!  (Pic. credit to Tanner Farrow. copyright 2012;)

4 comments:

  1. Tell Tanner, "Great pic." Glad you got to tool around Rome. Did you get some good pasta?Ski hard - we're rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That we did! Rob and I got some great Spaghetti Carbonara. Pretty awesome first meal back in Europe!

      Delete
  2. You write just as superbly as you ski, Scott. You will have a future as a sports journalist in the coming years!
    Your Aunt Jacqui referred me to your 'site. Now I am a fan~Be Safe and Good Luck in all your pursuits, Downhill or otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Stephensen,

    Thank you very much! I really appreciate the support and will keep you posted on my endeavours!

    ReplyDelete